[daip] Problems compiling aips31dec10

Eric Greisen egreisen at nrao.edu
Wed Nov 24 19:12:35 EST 2010

Ulrich Hiller wrote:
> Dear sirs,
> I am about to install aips-31dec10 on an open suse 11.0 x86_64 box with
> gcc version 4.3.1
> g77 version 3.3.5
>
> I used the install .pl script.
> It started compiling and then INSTEP2 crashed with:
>
> FC        : ends successfully.
> FC        : Ends successfully
> COMRPL    : Copied     /usr/local/misc/aips/31DEC10/LINUX/PREP/ZXLX8.o
> COMRPL    : to         /usr/local/misc/aips/31DEC10/LINUX/LIBR/APLSUB
> COMRPL    : Removed    /usr/local/misc/aips/31DEC10/LINUX/PREP/ZXLX8.o
> COMRPL    : Changed    /usr/local/misc/aips/31DEC10/APL/DEV/ZXLX8.FOR
> COMRPL    : in
> /usr/local/misc/aips/31DEC10/LINUX/INSTALL/APLGEN.LIS
> COMRPL    : to         -/usr/local/misc/aips/31DEC10/APL/DEV/ZXLX8.FOR
> COMRPL    : at least one module FAILED to compile
> COMRPL    : Dies of unnatural causes
> INSTEP2   : Failure in $APLGEN/...
> INSTEP2   : compilations.
> INSTEP2   : Aborts!    Fri Nov  5 06:58:55 CET 2010
> AipsWiz: Error: INSTEP2 failed, no point in proceeding.
> AipsWiz: Error: Look in /usr/local/misc/aips/31DEC10/LINUX/INSTALL to see
> AipsWiz: Error: if you can figure out what went wrong.  There are
> AipsWiz: Error: many log and list files there.  You may want to do
>
> grep -v ^- *.LIS
>

> AipsWiz: Error: to see what modules did not compile.
>
> AipsWiz: Install Wizard stopping.  Current settings saved in ~/.AIPSRC
> AipsWiz: Abandoning ship!  Goodbye.
>
> I have attached the files in INSTALL to this mail.
> My question is: How can I debug this that I understand what the problem
> is and solve it. Can you give me a hint?
> In INSTEP2.LOG are serveral messages that AIPSPROTO.H is missing, but
> actually it is in ./31DEC10/INC
>
> With kind regards and thank you for your help, Ulrich Hiller

I noted that the .LIS files you sent showed that all C routines failed
to compile.  Check your ~/.AIPSRC file for the CCOMOPT and CCOM options
- it is easy to have the -I option point at an obsolete version of AIPS
no longer present on your computer.

Of course, Amy recommended that you do the binary installation which is
better unless you plan to develop your own AIPS tasks.

ERic Greisen