[daip] New Ticket - [!XZF-958484]: TV startup problem on Mac/Intel

Shami Chatterjee do-not-reply at nrao.edu
Fri May 28 11:36:31 EDT 2010

New Ticket: TV startup problem on Mac/Intel

Hi:
I have a recent binary installation of 31Dec2010 on a Mac/Intel laptop (OS X 10.5.8), and it is fully up to date via MNJ (as of today).  I have been able to load images into the TV after installation. But after the first few uses, the TV can no longer start up.

Here are the starting messages:

[~]$ . /usr/local/aips/LOGIN.SH
[~]$ aips tpok tv=local
START_AIPS: Will use or start first available Unix Socket based TV
START_AIPS: Your initial AIPS printer is the
START_AIPS:  - system name , AIPS type

START_AIPS: User data area assignments:
  (Using global default file /usr/local/aips/DA00/DADEVS.LIST for DADEVS.PL)
   Disk 1 (1) is /Users/shami/data/aipsdata/DATA/LOCALHOST_1

Tape assignments:
   Tape 1 is REMOTE
   Tape 2 is REMOTE

START_AIPS: Starting TV servers on localhost asynchronously
START_AIPS:  - WITH Unix Sockets as requested...
START_AIPS: Assuming TPMON daemons are running or not used (you said TPOK)
Starting up 31DEC10 AIPS with normal priority
Begin the one true AIPS number 1 (release of 31DEC10) at priority =   0
AIPS 1: You are not on a local TV device, welcome stranger
AIPS 1: You are assigned TV device/server   2
AIPS 1: You are assigned graphics device/server   2
AIPS 1: Enter user ID number
?UNIXSERVERS: TVSRV1 is already running on host localhost, user shami
UNIXSERVERS: Start XAS1 on localhost, DISPLAY /tmp/launch-EWM93Y/:0
XAS: ** TrueColor FOUND!!!
XAS: ***  Using shared memory option for speed ***
XAS: Using screen width 1910 height 958,
     max grey level 8191 in 16 grey-scale memories
Shared memory id failure: Invalid argument
UNIXSERVERS: Start graphics server TKSRV1 on localhost, display /tmp/launch-EWM93Y/:0
UNIXSERVERS: Start message server MSSRV1 on localhost, display /tmp/launch-EWM93Y/:0

No TV comes up, although everything else seems to be fine. I suspect this may have something to do with inet services vs unix sockets? (I have not edited /etc/services to enable any ports for aips.) But that doesn't explain the "Shared memory ID failure". Nor why it worked the first few times.

Thanks in advance for your help!
Shami

Ticket Details
Ticket ID: XZF-958484