[daip] Problems in setting up AIPS in a Macbook Pro with Mac OS X 10.6.3

Eric Greisen egreisen at nrao.edu
Thu May 6 12:45:34 EDT 2010

Miguel Ángel Pérez Torres wrote:
> Dear Eric and Wes,
>
> You were right that I needed not to set the DISPLAY and also not to
> modify the xxSERVERS files, but only for the case of "setenv
> AIPS_TEK_EMULATOR xterm". And, of course, I can only make run AIPS if I
> use the "aips tv=local" option; otherwise it gets stuck (any hint as to
> how could I solve this?).
>
> However,  If I still use the "setenv AIPS_TEK_EMULATOR xgterm" (which I
> would like to have, as "xterm" results in funny labels), then I get the
> following message from the xgterm:
>
> xgterm: Can't execvp setenv DYLD_LIBRARY_PATH
> /Users/torres/aips/31DEC10/MACINT/LIBR/INTELCMP:/Users/torres/aips/31DEC10/MACINT/LIBR/INTELCMP:/Users/torres/aips/31DEC10/MACINT/LIBR/INTELCMP:/Users/torres/aips/31DEC10/MACINT/LIBR/INTELCMP:/Users/torres/aips/31DEC10/MACINT/LIBR/INTELCMP:/Users/torres/aips/31DEC10/MACINT/LIBR/INTELCMP:/Users/torres/aips/31DEC10/MACINT/LIBR/INTELCMP:/Users/torres/aips/31DEC10/MACINT/LIBR/INTELCMP
> ; /Users/torres/aips/31DEC10/MACINT/LOAD/TKSRV1
> procida<1>%
>
> And removing the "setenv" commands, as mentioned in my previous email,
> results in this message:
>
> xgterm:  bad command line option "-e"
>
> So I can run AIPS, but without the tvserver.

I am afraid that I am not following mush of this.

The xgterm business has nothing to do with the XAS TV display - it
applies only to the TK (tektronix emulator) display used by TKPL and
some verbs.  NOte that the message server also runs in an xterm.

Please send us all the messages that come out when you start aips
including the command line you use and do 2 cases, one with and one
without the tv=local.