[daip] aips tv

Eric Greisen egreisen at nrao.edu
Tue May 4 16:03:53 EDT 2010

Aeree Chung wrote:
> The message has been attached in ascii.
>
> Aeree
>

> On Tue, 4 May 2010, Eric Greisen wrote:
>
>> Aeree Chung wrote:
>>> Eric,
>>>
>>> I do not have any file called "system" under etc but even if I make up
>>> one, it still doesn't work. Also I do not see a file "rc" but rc.common
>>> and rc.netboot which doesn't have a line with "kern.sysv.shm".
>>>
>>> I compared with my friend's aips, and the message at the beginning
>>> regarding the TV exactly the same and my aips thinks that the TV is there.
>>>
>>> Aeree

>> Can you send the messages please
>>
>> Eric

The essential message
    shared memory ID failure
is present in your output.

Therefore

  On the latest "leopard" systems, /etc/rc is gone and creating it will
have no effect. You need to create an /etc/sysctl.conf file and put the
values in it,

             kern.sysv.shmmax=10485760
             kern.sysv.shmmin=1
             kern.sysv.shmmni=32
             kern.sysv.shmseg=8
             kern.sysv.shmall=4096

You should use the values you had when you were running tiger. Those
could be in /Previous\ System/etc/rc, assuming you have "Previous
System". So three different OS upgrades and three different ways to
adjust the default shared memory. Note: You will need to reboot the
system for the change in shared memory to take place. You can check if
the shared memory changes happened by typing "sysctl kern.sysv" in a
terminal or xterm window. Look for the kern.sysv.shm* values. If the
values have not changed, make sure you haven't inadvertently left in
"sysctl -w" in the /etc/sysctl.conf file or mis-typed one of the values.
If the /etc/sysctl.conf file is not properly formatted, or shmmax is not
an integer multiple of shmall, the shared memory will not be adjusted
after the reboot.

To quote from the aips manager FAQ.