[daip] AIPS Mac install

Eric Greisen egreisen at nrao.edu
Tue May 4 15:30:28 EDT 2010

Sarma, Anuj wrote:
> Hello Eric,
>
> I'm trying to do a binary install of AIPS on a Mac (running Snow Leopard
> 10.6). It goes through all the screens upto the midnight job, then
> complains that it can't find Data areas and exits (output given below).
> But I have defined data areas (in fact, they were created by the system
> during the install). Is this a known problem?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Anuj Sarma
>
> Data disk assignments:
> DADEVS.PL: This program is untested under Perl version 5.010
>   (Using global default file /Users/astrostud/aips/DA00/DADEVS.LIST for
> DADEVS.PL)
> DADEVS.PL error - no disks selected at all
> This is a FATAL error and nothing in AIPS will work.

> HELP!  No Defined data areas!  You can proceed now to run
> program FILAIP, but you may see LOTS of complaints about
> not being able to access the message file.  If you think
> there should have been some data areas defined, please
> check DADEVS.LIST or .dadevs files, or AIPSASSN.\*
> If you want to proceed, enter YES (uppercase) now:
> AipsWiz: Error: FILAIP did not work, or there's a missing file!
> AipsWiz: Error: This may mean that FILAIP did not work (it should have
> AipsWiz: Error: created it and many other files in that area).
> AipsWiz: Error: You can try running it by hand after (a) dotting the
> AipsWiz: Error: LOGIN.SH file or sourcing the LOGIN.CSH file; and
> AipsWiz: Error: (b) Typing 'RUN FILAIP'.  You will then be asked for
> AipsWiz: Error: two parameters.  Use
> 8 2
>
> AipsWiz: Error: as the standard values.
> AipsWiz: Error: You will also have to RUN POPSGN if that works;
>
> AipsWiz: Error: Feed it
>
> 0 POPSDAT TST
>

> AipsWiz: Error: when it asks for Idebug, etc. and press RETURN when
> AipsWiz: Error: you see the '>' prompt.
>

> AipsWiz: Install Wizard stopping.  Current settings saved in ~/.AIPSRC
> AipsWiz: Abandoning ship!  Goodbye.

The problem here is usually that the host name does not appear in the
data directory name so DADEVS.PL does not recognize that you want the
specific areas that are there.  (At NRAO AOC we have > 100 computers
listed in DADEVS.LIST so a selection on name is required.)  If yours is
the only machine then you can edit the DADEVS.LIST file (full path
above) to put a + rather than a - in column one in front of the disk
area names.  This makes then required for any computer.  Otherwise I
suggest that you rename the areas e.g.   xxx/xxx/xxx/PRIMATE_1 etc where
PRIMATE is the name of the computer - often this is LOCALHOST in single
machine installations.