[daip] Mac tv problems

Eric Greisen egreisen at nrao.edu
Mon Mar 1 10:53:11 EST 2010

Tracy Clarke wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I have run into a problem with the tv on my laptop a few times lately.
>
> I am running Mac OSX 10.5.8 and running AIPS 31DEC09 (last up2date was
> January 28 or 29).
> Several times I have lost the tv after killing a UVPLT that had
> started. When I run a KLEEN
> and then restart a new TV opens but I get the message:
>
> kouchi> UVPLT1: TV DEVICE  4 CURRENTLY BEING USED BY SOMEONE ELSE
> kouchi> UVPLT1: TV OPEN ERROR      4
> kouchi> UVPLT1: GINIT: ERROR    4 OPENING THE TV
> kouchi> UVPLT1: Purports to die of UNNATURAL causes
>
> If I start with a new tv number it will work ok.
>
> The messages that happen when I ABORT are below;
>
> AIPS 1 12:33:42 abort uvplt
> UVPLT1 12:33:42 ZABORS: signal 15 received
> UVPLT1 12:33:42 ABORT!
> AIPS 1 12:33:43 Begin check for any 'standard' scratch files
> AIPS 1 12:33:43 Scratch files -- destroyed:    0  still active:    0
> AIPS 1 12:33:46 tvinit
> AIPS 1 12:33:46 TV DEVICE  4 CURRENTLY BEING USED BY SOMEONE ELSE
> AIPS 1 12:33:46 TV OPEN ERROR      4

It is a long time since I looked at this code, but it does attempt to:

1. If XAS detects a close or error reading from a task, it orders the
TVSERV/TVSRVn to unlock

2. KLEEN tells XAS to shut down and XAS tells the TVSERV/TVSRVn to die.

Seemingly XAS is failing to tell the TVSERV/TVSRVs anything.

Try looking for processes with TVS in their names and killing them.
Then start aips and run uvplt with an abort and see if this happens.
Try a KLEEN and see if a TVS remains.