[daip] remote TV display

Dale Frail dfrail at nrao.edu
Wed Jun 30 12:35:10 EDT 2010

Dear aips,

I am trying to use my MAC laptop (renacer) to display images
that reside on my linux machine (transient) while I am at
Caltech for a month. Its partly for my own research but
also to test out some suggestions we made to have users be
able to remotely reduce data.

I am having problems. I have read much documentation, including
various appendices from the aips cookbook.

I am able to start up a TV on my laptop. I can also ssh back to
the linux machine in Socorro. As a test I also can ssh back
to the laptop (ssh dfrail at DHCP-194-189.caltech.edu). All is good.

So now I ...

setenv DISPLAY DHCP-194-189.caltech.edu:0
aips tst tv=DHCP-194-189.caltech.edu

It seems to be working but it keeps asking for a password
to log on to the MAC and eventually it fails. I've seen this
same failure mode at Green Bank so it is something fundamental
that I am missing.

Any ideas?

Dale

Dale A. Frail, Astronomer