[daip] [Fwd: Re: problem loading EVLA dataset into AIPS]

Eric Greisen egreisen at nrao.edu
Wed Jun 23 15:15:03 EDT 2010

Giulia Macario wrote:
> Dear Eric,
>
> I looked at the file size. It is not an integer times 2880, indeed.
> I'm downloading the dataset from the archive again.
>
> What do you mean with "say binary when you ran ftp"?
> I usually simply shift clik on the file name in the temporary directory to copy the data to my computer.
> Can you tell me how to correctly copy the file on my location?
> Then I'll try this and let you know if it works.

Many people have to run a program called ftp to copy files between
computers.  That old program was initially for text files and so
whenever it saw a "carriage-return" valued byte it would add if needed a
following "line-feed" byte.  Clearly this is undesirable for binary
files.  ftp has a command "binary" which one gives to prevent this
although modern ftp's often start up in this mode.  It is still a common
mistake.  That is why I mention it.  If you have some other means of
copying the file, I do not know about those means.

ERic Greisen