[daip] reading wmap in aips

Eric Greisen egreisen at nrao.edu
Thu Jun 3 15:52:42 EDT 2010

Farhad Zadeh wrote:
> I left one of the images on here
> ftp://townes.phys.northwestern.edu/pub/
>
> The original tar file is here but it is a big one.
>
> http://lambda.gsfc.nasa.gov/product/map/dr4/maps_band_r9_iqu_7yr_get.cfm
>
> I may use other regions of the survey as well so it would be good
> to get the geometry right.

I took a look at the one on your ftp site.  There are 4 images each in
IMAGE extensions in the file.  Their headers are extremely minimal and
in fact what little the main header says suggests that the data are in
HEALPIX order/projection not molweide.  There is nothing much that AIPS
can do with this unless I code MOL projection into AIPS in some way.
That would be a lot of work and I leave for vacation this afternoon.
Perhaps ds9 or some such program that uses the full WCSLIB could read in
the image in MOL and write it back out in some other projection such as AIT.

Given issues we have with imaging etc I can't see this coordinate
business rising to a level that I could justify messing up AIPS
(initially I always create bugs before fixing them in overhauls)
to support projections outside our normal range.  MOL is clearly
desirable but...