[daip] New Client Reply - [!VFT-650742]: EVLA Data In AIPS

John Michael Cannon do-not-reply at nrao.edu
Wed Jul 21 13:25:14 EDT 2010

New Client Reply: EVLA Data In AIPS

I have now attempted to calibrate the program 10B-187 data obtained on June 22 without applying FRING and without spectrally averaging via SPECR, and have had no success.  The poor phases remain in the final solutions.  I include my work log as a pdf attachment, showing inputs to the various task for one calibration attempt, if they are useful.

I executed SPFLG on all sources prior to BPASS.  Some minor RFI was apparent on short baselines and was excised, but I would not deem it to be particularly serious.  A few strange effects were present in the data, however, that I have not seen before:

1.  A wavy pattern of amplitude vs. time in a given channel (see images of baselines 5-15 and 8-27 in the PDF file, showing screenshots of SPFLG amplitude displays on baselines 5-15 and 8-27 in RR) on the primary calibrator.  Almost all antenna 5 RR baselines have this effect & I simply flagged that antenna/stokes completely; other antennas show it on some baselines but not others (e.g., antenna 23 in LL).   This does not appear in weaker sources (phase cal, source).

2.  Antenna 2, LL stokes, all sources, shows a pattern of obviously high amplitudes at all times on every 32nd channel.  The image of baseline 2-26 shows the SPFLG display of amplitude for LL stokes on baseline 2-26.  I simply flagged those 8 channels (33, 65, 97, 129, 161, 193, 225, 256).

Returning to the issue of calibrating the data, I have tried both suggestions in Appendix E of the AIPS Cookbook (page E-6) to modify the execution of BPASS.  The differences between the two techniques was negligible.

A summer student of mine has tried the same approach with the data obtained on June 12 and finds the same unacceptable CALIB solutions.  He also finds the same data symptoms described above.

Do you have any further suggestions to calibrate these data?  In the meantime I am attempting another calibration solution, applying SPECR.

Thanks for your help,
John

Ticket Details
Ticket ID: VFT-650742