[daip] AIPS help

Eric Greisen egreisen at nrao.edu
Thu Jul 8 13:13:16 EDT 2010

Rane, Akshaya A wrote:
> Hello Dr. Eric Greisen,
>
> I have another question. I made a V-image cube for the same 1667 VLA data that I mentioned earlier and I see a striping pattern in the image. From the striping pattern, I calculated the baseline that would be causing it. Then I flagged the split data for same baseline range using WIPER but the striping pattern is still seen in the image. This striping pattern is not seen in the I cube, although there are some artifacts in the I cube. I am not able to understand why flagging that baseline range would have no effect on the image.

You know, when I try to do this operation I often don't actually get the
baseline or the hour angle range or whatever exactly right.  Did you
confirm that the data you were about to flag had an abnormally large V
polarization?  TVFLG will let you convert to V I think.

Note that a large V means that the phase or amp of the R and L differ
when they should not.  A modest phase error with largish R and L makes a
big V with little affect on the I value.