[daip] [HelpDesk #28740] AIPS disk access problems

George Martin gmartin at nrao.edu
Thu Jan 14 14:14:49 EST 2010

Ylva Pihlstrom wrote:
>> From: Ylva Pihlstrom <ylva at unm.edu>
>> To: helpdesk at aoc.nrao.edu
>> Subject: AIPS disk access problems
>
> Dear Helpdesk,
>
> I am an adjunct astronomer at NRAO, and I have a login belonging to
> the groups 'visitor' & 'aipsuser'.
>
> I am trying access AIPS data that is already loaded onto Thuban, by
> starting AIPS remotely. However, I get a read error via AIPS, saying I
> don't have permission to read the disks. When I go to these disks
> outside AIPS, I can create a file (e.g. by using 'touch temp').
>
> Do you have any idea of why I am not allowed to access the AIPS disks
> via AIPS?
>
> Many thanks,
>    Ylva

This seems to be AIPS enforcing access permissions rather than the operating
system. There is no one with the helpdesk who is very knowledgeable abut
AIPS. The only guess I have at the moment is that maybe AIPS is enforcing
access rights via the AIPS user number.

Just in case, your user number is 2359.

I've Cc:'ed daip at nrao.edu.

  George