[daip] my AIPS is not working ...

Eric Greisen egreisen at nrao.edu
Fri Aug 6 11:30:42 EDT 2010

Dharam Vir Lal wrote:
> Dear Eric,
>
> I added two more data areas and whatever AIPS-id number I give, my AIPS is
> not working.  any suggestions what have I done wrong ?  Regards, Dharam.

> [ASTEROID-143 aips]$ START_AIPS tv=local
> START_AIPS: Will use or start first available Unix Socket based TV
>
> You have a choice of 2 printers.  These are:
>
>     No. [ type  ] Description
>      1. [PREVIEW] ghostview previewer
>      2. [     PS] HP Laserjet 4350 (B213)
>
> START_AIPS: Enter your choice, or the word QUIT [default is 1]:
> START_AIPS: Your initial AIPS printer is the ghostview previewer
> START_AIPS:  - system name ghostview, AIPS type PREVIEW
>
> START_AIPS: User data area assignments:
>   (Using global default file /export/aips/DA00/DADEVS.LIST for DADEVS.PL)
>    Disk 1 (1) is /export/aips/DATA/ASTEROID_1
>    Disk 2 (2) is /export/aips/DATA/ASTEROID_2
>    Disk 3 (3) is /asteroid1.real/dharam/aips/DATA3/ASTEROID_3
>    Disk 4 (4) is /asteroid1.real/dharam/aips/DATA4/ASTEROID_4
>
> Tape assignments:
>    Tape 1 is REMOTE
>    Tape 2 is REMOTE
>
> START_AIPS: I am GUESSING you are at a workstation called asteroid
> START_AIPS:  - but have chosen to run the TV locally on ASTEROID
> START_AIPS: Starting TV servers on asteroid asynchronously
> START_AIPS:  - WITH Unix Sockets as requested...
> START_AIPS: Starting TPMON daemons on ASTEROID asynchronously...
>
> ===== AIPS Message of the day... $Date: 2002/01/30$ (MET) =========
> |                                                                       |
> | ********************  1/12/2005 in Bonn:  *************************** |
> |                                                                       |
> | --- The last AIPS update is over.  TST is now 31DEC05, NEW is 31DEC04 |
> |     and OLD is 31DEC03.
> |                                                                       |
> | --- The latest AIPSLetter is available from the NRAO AIPS web site:   |
> |         http://www.aoc.nrao.edu/aips
> |                                                                       |
> ===== AIPS Message of the day... $Date: 2005/01/12 =============== ======
>
> Starting up 31DEC09 AIPS with normal priority
> Begin the one true AIPS number 1 (release of 31DEC09) at priority =   0
> AIPS 1: ZDCHIN: NO NETSP ENTRY FOR DA03
> AIPS 1: THIS MEANS THE TIMDEST LIMIT IS SET TO VALUE IN SP FILE OR 14.0
> AIPS 1: ZDCHIN: NO NETSP ENTRY FOR DA04
> AIPS 1: You are not on a local TV device, welcome stranger
> AIPS 1: You are assigned TV device/server   2
> AIPS 1: You are assigned graphics device/server   2
> AIPS 1: Enter user ID number
> ?UNIXSERVERS: Start TV LOCK daemon TVSRV1 on asteroid
> TVSERVER: Starting AIPS TV locking, Unix (local) domain
> UNIXSERVERS: Start XAS1 on asteroid, DISPLAY :0.0
> XAS: ** TrueColor FOUND!!!
> XAS: ***  Using shared memory option for speed ***
> XAS: Using screen width 1910 height 1100,
>      max grey level 8191 in 16 grey-scale memories
> [...]

What this is saying is that the DA00 area it is using has not been
filled properly.  Perhaps it is now using some new area.  The $DA00 area
is normally $AIPS_ROOT/DA00/<hostname>/ and contains all sorts of files
including SP and PW ones.  If it is using the correct area and it is now
empty, outside AIPS do

RUN FILAIP

and answer the question.  Usual answer is 6 2