[daip] New Ticket - [!CFP-629264]: Problems with Oxford tutorial

Andrej Favia do-not-reply at nrao.edu
Mon Aug 2 09:52:46 EDT 2010

New Ticket: Problems with Oxford tutorial

Greetings. I am following an AIPS tutorial located at:
http://www-astro.physics.ox.ac.uk/~hrk/AIPS_TUTORIAL/HRK_AIPS_1.html

I am experiencing a mixture of problems using their commands. They are using the 86MB FITS file located at
http://www-astro.physics.ox.ac.uk/~hrk/AIPS_TUTORIAL/DATA_AIPS_MASTER_CLASS/DAY1.CH0.UV.FITS

[1] In their Section 2.1, where they obtain UV coverage for source '1331+305' ' and BPARM = 6,7,2,0, I can plot the image that they get, except that my horizontal axis is flipped (i.e. from +20 to -20 going left to right). I couldn't find the ADVERB to use to change that.

[2] In their Section 2.4, Step 1, where I am asked to set the flux of the calibration source 1331+305, I follow all the parameters and I use OPTYPE 'CALC'... but this is what appears in my AIPS_MSGSRV window (below). What is CATBLK, and how can I turn it off to make this calculation go through?

localh> SETJY1: Task SETJY  (release of 31DEC10) begins
localh> SETJY1: CATIO: CATBLK   1 IN USE, CAN'T CHANGE STATUS
localh> SETJY1: A source model for this calibrator is available
localh> SETJY1: Consult the help file for CALRD for assistance
localh> SETJY1: CATIO: CATBLK   1 IN USE, CAN'T WRITE
localh> SETJY1: SETJ: ERROR   4 UPDATING CATALOGUE HEADER
localh> SETJY1: Purports to die of UNNATURAL causes
localh> SETJY1: localhost    31DEC10 TST: Cpu=       0.0  Real=       0

[3] This following "issue" is more difficult to explain, I'm in Section 2.2, and I'm starting from the line "Now you are prepared to judge the following plots"...
TASK 'VPLOT'

So, first thing is that when I set SOURCE '1331+305' ' as they describe,
my plotted time scale TIME (HOURS) only goes from 05 41 30 on the left to 05 44 00 on the right.
If I set SOURCE ' ' to be blank, then I get the full time range 06 to 13 (really 14), which is what they have in their plot.... ((almost - SEE ATTACHED. My plot has a lot more data. If I include 1331+305 as the source, then I get only one 'x' plot point at a time, versus the small columns of points that they get.))

So, are the tutorial directions incorrect here? Or is my plot incorrect?

The other problem is applying this so-called QUACK flag, which, when I do this, produces the following output in AIPS_MSGSRV:

localh> QUACK1: Task QUACK  (release of 31DEC10) begins
localh> QUACK1: CATIO: CATBLK   1 IN USE, CAN'T CHANGE STATUS
localh> QUACK1: ERROR  5 COPYING CATBLK
localh> QUACK1: Purports to die of UNNATURAL causes
localh> QUACK1: localhost    31DEC10 TST: Cpu=       0.0  Real=       0

Same problem as [2].

Any help here would be appreciated.
Andrej

Ticket Details