[daip] New Staff Reply - [!ODW-116740]: Erroneous ACD000000; file

Eric Greisen do-not-reply at nrao.edu
Mon Apr 12 11:51:46 EDT 2010

New Staff Reply: Erroneous ACD000000; file

What happened was that the AC file remained locked by
some process that is presumably long gone.  This mostly
happens when the file is not physically resident on the
computer that is using it so that file I/O and locking
depend on nfs.  We avoid this here by making the directories
$AIPS_ROOT/DA00/<hostname> be links to a disk area on <hostname>
itself.  You have done just about the only thing that can be
done - a mv moves the lock as well so you can make a new AC
file.  That file contains accounting info for your AIPS usage
in gory detail.  Task PRTAC which can also execute stand-alone
as RUN PRTAC outside AIPS allows you to examine the contents of
the file in numerous ways.  In general, it is only of academic
interest, although CASA has asked me to determine which AIPS
tasks are most used.  They use this in setting development
priorities.

There is a program WHOLOCKED.C in $SYSUNIX that can be used to
debug this further although I doubt that you really need to do so.

Cheers,

Eric Greisen

Ticket Details
Ticket ID: ODW-116740