[daip] MAXIF

Olaf Wucknitz wucknitz at astro.uni-bonn.de
Thu Apr 8 11:16:06 EDT 2010

Hi Eric,

> 256 sub-bands all pointed at the same source at the same time?

248 is the current maximum if all the bandwidth is used for one source.
This will not be the standard observing mode, but it is currently very
useful to test the system.

> Raising this parameter would have all sorts or repercussions - making all
> programs a good bit larger and probably creating havoc where we have assumed
> the 90 when thinking if one buig array will be big enough for multiple
> purposes.  If lofar data are really going to be reduced in AIPS I suppose I
> will have to consider this - but even the EVLA is only going to use 64.

Well, AIPS will not be part of the official pipeline, but for
commissioning work it is very helpful to have a piece of software of which
I know that (and how) it works. CALIB and IMAGR seem to deal quite well
with the data if I don't use all the subbands.

Do you think there is a chance that a private version compiled with
MAXIF=248 will not break immediately?

By the way: The total number of channels I use at the moment is not large,
because I average within the subbands to just one or a few channels.

Cheers,
Olaf