[daip] Problems with polarization calibration in AIPS 31DEC09

Eric Greisen egreisen at nrao.edu
Mon Oct 12 11:53:34 EDT 2009

Luis F. Rodriguez wrote:
> Dear Eric: Thank you for looking into this. Here is the AN table:
>
>  auriga    PRTAB(31DEC09)    171     12-OCT-2009  10:39:13    Page    1
> 19970104    .UVCOP .   1  Disk= 1    AN Table version   1
> Title: AIPS UV DATA FILE ANTENNA TABLE
> Created by      PCAL  on 12-OCT-2009 10:27:39
> Last written by PCAL  on 12-OCT-2009 10:27:39
> Ncol  14  Nrow      29    Sort cols:
>     Table has    24 keyword-value pairs:
>    ARRAYX   = -1.6011853650000D+06

>    POLTYPE  =  APPROX

>>> AURIGA> RLDIF1: Task RLDIF  (release of 31DEC09) begins
>>> AURIGA> RLDIF1: UVGET: Using flag table version   1 to edit data
>>> AURIGA> RLDIF1: UNKNOWN POLARIZATION PARAMETERIZATION ='
>>> AURIGA> RLDIF1: NO USABLE POLCAL INFORMATION AVAILABLE IN AN TABLE
>>> AURIGA> RLDIF1: PERHAPS DOPOL SHOULD BE FALSE
>>> AURIGA> RLDIF1: MATXUV: ERROR  10 DETERMINING UV-FILE PARAMETERS
>>> AURIGA> RLDIF1: returns adverbs to AIPS
>>> AURIGA> RLDIF1: Purports to die of UNNATURAL causes
>> Oddly - this sounds very familiar but I can't any mention of it in the
>> CHANGE.DOC files.  The keyword POLTYPE is supposed to be written into
>> the AN table by PCAL and then read by tasks trying to do DOPOL > 0.
>>
>> Try PRTAB on the AN file and send me the output.  It is clear that the
>> routine that reads the AN table needs to be more careful about bad
>> values but you should not have a bad value...
>>
>> Eric Greisen

Is the SUBARRAY adverb set to something besides 1?   The AN file you
printed looks good but is for SUBARRRAY  1.  If you are asking RLDIF for
a 2nd SUBARRAY there could be trouble.  Otherwise I have no real idea.

Is your 31DEC09 completely up to date via the MNJ.  I see from the
XYZHAND keyword that it is relatively recent but I did not remember to
link everything at first.