[daip] CLCOR position shifting question

Leonia Kogan lkogan at nrao.edu
Mon Nov 30 16:58:15 EST 2009

Mark

As I understand:

You run CLCOR with correction of the source position by 1as.
You use the virgin CL table (GAINVER) to correct. So the corrected table
will include single band delay, rate, and multi band delay ... which
CLCOR calculates based on the Geometry.
CLCOR puts the same value for the single- and multi- band delay.

Now you run FRING with DOCALIB = 1 APARM(5) =2 and find the solution for
delays and rates. You expect to see the solutions identical to the CLCOR
result but with opposite signs. CORRECT?

FRING finds solution for multi band delay fitting by least square the
value into set of single source delay or something like that.
I have never understood it :(

So it can easy find zero solution for multi band delay, if the
instrumental delays (single band delays) are different for different IFs.

So I'd recommend you to compare rates (you did it) and single band
delays instead of multi band ones, using APARM(5)=1 in FRING

You wrote:

 > So, the question: does CLCOR/ANTC put in frequency dependent phase
 > shifts that would correspond to the desired changes in multi-band
 > delays when one shifts source positions?

The answer is YES but it would correspond to the desired single band
delay, which apply to the multi band delay also.

Leonia