[daip] negative elevation values: BL149CC

Yuri Y. Kovalev yyk at asc.rssi.ru
Fri Nov 27 12:07:24 EST 2009

Dear colleagues,

I am writing you again about AIPS / VLBA data problems during
American holidays. There must be some reason why I am so "lucky"
during these days. Anyway, here it comes.

AIPS ver 31DEC08.
MOJAVE 512 Mbps experiment BL149CC.
Problem: I got negative elevation values.
To track it down I have loaded just one pass (using FITLD) -
BL149CC_1_FPOL4IF8MHZ16CH_15.3256GHZ00 (taken from the NRAO
archive) than have plotted elevation versus time for the refant
2 (FD). You can see results attached. Any ideas what is wrong
and how to fix it?

Two comments:

I have discovered this problem while doing APCAL with opacity
correction. Opacity correction was doing strange things which
pushed me to check the elevation values. After discovering the
problem I have deleted everything, loaded one pass and the
problem was there.
No VBGLU involved.

To check if this is my local AIPS issue I have loaded into the
same AIPS one of my recent BK150 U-band datasets
(VLBA_BK150K_FPOL4IF8MHZ16CH_15.3495GHZ03.uvfits) and everything
looked fine (positive meaningful elevation values).

Cheers,
Yuri