[daip] polco problem

Amanda Kepley aak8t at virginia.edu
Mon Nov 23 15:24:53 EST 2009

Hi,

I'm trying to use POLCO to correct some polarization maps for bias and
am getting some weird error messages. I'm taking a legitimate polarized
intensity map and running POLCO with the following parameters:

AIPS 1: POLCO: Task to correct polarization maps for Ricean bias
AIPS 1: Adverbs     Values                 Comments
AIPS 1: ----------------------------------------------------------------
AIPS 1: INNAME     'N1569.S.R0'            Input image name (name)
AIPS 1: INCLASS    'POLI'                  Input image name (class)
AIPS 1: INSEQ         1                    Input image name (seq. #)
AIPS 1: INDISK        8                    Input image disk drive #
AIPS 1: OUTNAME    'N1569.S.R0'            Output image name (name)
AIPS 1: OUTCLASS   'POLCO'                 Output image name (class)
AIPS 1: OUTSEQ        0                    Output image name (seq. #)
AIPS 1: OUTDISK       8                    Output image disk drive #
AIPS 1: PIXSTD     1.720E-05               Sigma of noise on Q or U map
AIPS 1: PCUT          3                    Blank below PCUT sigma.
AIPS 1:                                    <= 0 => no blanking
AIPS 1: OPCODE     ' '                     If 'ZERO', blank with zeros,
AIPS 1:                                    else use magic blanking
AIPS 1: BADDISK    *all 0                  Disks to avoid for scratch
 >go

sereni> POLCO1: Task POLCO  (release of 31DEC09) begins
sereni> POLCO1: Create N1569.S.R0  .POLCO .   2 (MA)  on disk  8  cno   30
sereni> POLCO1: Blanking below   3.00-sigma
sereni> POLCO1: There are  1.035191E+06 blank pixels in the output image
sereni> POLCO1: ZOPEN: VOLUME NUMBER =      0 OUT OF RANGE
sereni> POLCO1: CATKEY: ERROR    3 OPENING THE HEADER FILE
sereni> POLCO1: CATKEY: ERROR ON OPCODE=ALL  VOL,CNO  0    28
sereni> POLCO1: Appears to have ended successfully
sereni> POLCO1: serenity 31DEC09 TST: Cpu=      0.1  Real=      0
IO=        13

I've tried this with a couple of difference files on a couple of
different AIPS disks, but get the same ZOPEN, CATKEY error messages. The
output image appears to be okay though. It this a problem with my
installation or with AIPS itself? I'm running the latest MNJ version of
AIPS.

Cheers,

Amanda

Amanda Kepley