[daip] Problem installing AIPS

Eric Greisen egreisen at nrao.edu
Tue Nov 10 15:09:29 EST 2009

Alan Marscher wrote:
> After a catastrophic computer crash, I have a new Linux computer, of the
> X86-64 variety, running Ubuntu 9.10 with libc_2.10.1.so. I am trying to
> install AIPS from the source code. A few things didn't compile, but the
> first issue that I want to address is that install.pl failed to make XAS.
> The messages are:
>
> AipsWiz: About to try to make XAS...
>
> rm -f *.o xas XAS
> /usr/bin/gcc  -D_BSD -DUSE_SHM -O2 -axWPT -c xas.c
> cc1: error: unrecognized command line option "-axWPT"
> make: *** [xas.o] Error 1
> AipsWiz: Error: Failed to build the XAS program.
> AipsWiz: Error: This means no AIPS TV will be available.
>
> Does this imply that there is something wrong with my gcc installation?

No - it implies that install.pl is not smart enough to edit the Makefile
completely.  Maybe I should work on that

BUT - why are you compiling it yourself?  We supply a 64-bit binary done
with the Intel compiler that outperforms the gnu compiler by a lot (e.g.
40% in some measurements).

The -axWPT is needed for Intel and should be deleted in the Makefile for
gnu compiler.