[daip] Problem installing AIPS

Alan Marscher marscher at bu.edu
Mon Nov 9 19:27:23 EST 2009

After a catastrophic computer crash, I have a new Linux computer, of the
X86-64 variety, running Ubuntu 9.10 with libc_2.10.1.so. I am trying to
install AIPS from the source code. A few things didn't compile, but the
first issue that I want to address is that install.pl failed to make XAS.
The messages are:

AipsWiz: About to try to make XAS...

rm -f *.o xas XAS
/usr/bin/gcc  -D_BSD -DUSE_SHM -O2 -axWPT -c xas.c
cc1: error: unrecognized command line option "-axWPT"
make: *** [xas.o] Error 1
AipsWiz: Error: Failed to build the XAS program.
AipsWiz: Error: This means no AIPS TV will be available.

Does this imply that there is something wrong with my gcc installation?

Thanks for any advice you can give me,
Al

Professor Alan P. Marscher
Dept. of Astronomy, Boston University