[daip] Upgrading from Mac OSX 10.4 to 10.5

Eric Greisen egreisen at nrao.edu
Fri May 29 16:48:33 EDT 2009

Kevin Marvel wrote:
> Query:
>
> I have a perfectly running install of the latest AIPS running on my
> powerbook
> under Mac OSX 10.4, but I am considering finally upgrading to Mac OSX 10.5.
>
> What, if anything, should I do to prepare AIPS for upgrading.  Will the
> DATA disks
> still be readable?  Should I write everything out to FITS and then read
> it back
> in after reinstalling AIPS?  Any advice and help would be most useful.

The data and code should be fine - go ahead with the installation.  You
may find that you have to go back and set up system services, max
allowed shared memory pages, and that sort of stuff.  See the aips
manager FAQ page:

        http://www.aips.nrao.edu/aipsmgr/index.html

for a refresher.

There are a few differences in the code but we detect the change in the
OS and respond accordingly (X is addressed rather differently in 10.5).