[daip] AIPS does not load on networked machines

Eric Greisen egreisen at nrao.edu
Tue May 26 19:04:12 EDT 2009

Matthew John Merlo wrote:
> Hello
>
> I am attempting to host AIPS off a Linux machine to five of Linux
> machines.  I have already specified the other machines as host and set up
> data areas for them.  The AIPS root directory, /usr/AIPS, is hosted via a
> NFS network to the other machines.  When I try to run aips on any of the
> other machines I get the following output:
>
> START_AIPS: Will use or start first available Unix Socket based TV
> START_AIPS: Your initial AIPS printer is the
> START_AIPS:  - system name , AIPS type
>
> START_AIPS: User data area assignments:
> DADEVS.PL: This program is untested under Perl version 5.010
>   (Using global default file /usr/AIPS/DA00/DADEVS.LIST for DADEVS.PL)
>    Disk 1 (1) is /data/aips/YODA_1
>
> Tape assignments:
>    Tape 1 is REMOTE
>    Tape 2 is REMOTE
>
> START_AIPS: I am GUESSING you are at a workstation called yoda
> START_AIPS:  - but have chosen to run the TV locally on YODA
> START_AIPS: Starting TV servers on yoda asynchronously
> START_AIPS:  - WITH Unix Sockets as requested...
> START_AIPS: Starting TPMON daemons on YODA asynchronously...
> Starting up 31DEC09 AIPS with normal priority
> DADEVS.PL: This program is untested under Perl version 5.010
> UNIXSERVERS: Start TV LOCK daemon TVSRV1 on yoda
> TVSERVER: Starting AIPS TV locking, Unix (local) domain
> UNIXSERVERS: Start XAS1 on yoda, DISPLAY :0.0
> XAS: ** TrueColor FOUND!!!
> XAS: ***  Using shared memory option for speed ***
> XAS: Using screen width 1270 height 924,
>      max grey level 8191 in 16 grey-scale memories
> UNIXSERVERS: Start graphics server TKSRV1 on yoda, display :0.0
> UNIXSERVERS: Start message server MSSRV1 on yoda, display :0.0
>
>  at this point the terminal freezes and must by closed and restarted.  If
> I run aips on the machine where it was installed, it gives the following
> output:
>
> START_AIPS: Will use or start first available Unix Socket based TV
> START_AIPS: Your initial AIPS printer is the
> START_AIPS:  - system name , AIPS type
>
> START_AIPS: User data area assignments:
> DADEVS.PL: This program is untested under Perl version 5.010
>   (Using global default file /usr/AIPS/DA00/DADEVS.LIST for DADEVS.PL)
>    Disk 1 (1) is /data/aips/XWING_1
>    Disk 2 (2) is /data/aips/XWING_2
>
> Tape assignments:
>    Tape 1 is REMOTE
>    Tape 2 is REMOTE
>
> START_AIPS: Starting TV servers on xwing asynchronously
> START_AIPS:  - WITH Unix Sockets as requested...
> START_AIPS: Starting TPMON daemons on XWING asynchronously...
> Starting up 31DEC09 AIPS with normal priority
> Begin the one true AIPS number 1 (release of 31DEC09) at priority =   0
> AIPS 1: You are not on a local TV device, welcome stranger
> AIPS 1: You are assigned TV device/server   7
> AIPS 1: You are assigned graphics device/server   7
> AIPS 1: Enter user ID number
> ?DADEVS.PL: This program is untested under Perl version 5.010
> [...]

I am going to have to ponder this - a couple of questions.

Are lock daemons running on all machines.  AIPS applies blocking and
non-blocking locks to data file all over the place.  I have seen it hang
when some sort of daemon was not running.

In the first case, it would appear that you are at the console of yoda
and are running on yoda.  In the second you are at the console of
something else and ssh'ed into xwing.  Is that correct?  Note that
tv=local is really not intended for that case although it should work
albeit slowly.  Usually you want XAS et al to run on the computer at
which you are sitting and have xwing talk to it via the Inet sockets.