[daip] AIPS does not load on networked machines

Matthew John Merlo mmerlo at fit.edu
Tue May 26 16:11:59 EDT 2009

Hello

I am attempting to host AIPS off a Linux machine to five of Linux
machines.  I have already specified the other machines as host and set up
data areas for them.  The AIPS root directory, /usr/AIPS, is hosted via a
NFS network to the other machines.  When I try to run aips on any of the
other machines I get the following output:

START_AIPS: Will use or start first available Unix Socket based TV
START_AIPS: Your initial AIPS printer is the
START_AIPS:  - system name , AIPS type

START_AIPS: User data area assignments:
DADEVS.PL: This program is untested under Perl version 5.010
  (Using global default file /usr/AIPS/DA00/DADEVS.LIST for DADEVS.PL)
   Disk 1 (1) is /data/aips/YODA_1

Tape assignments:
   Tape 1 is REMOTE
   Tape 2 is REMOTE

START_AIPS: I am GUESSING you are at a workstation called yoda
START_AIPS:  - but have chosen to run the TV locally on YODA
START_AIPS: Starting TV servers on yoda asynchronously
START_AIPS:  - WITH Unix Sockets as requested...
START_AIPS: Starting TPMON daemons on YODA asynchronously...
Starting up 31DEC09 AIPS with normal priority
DADEVS.PL: This program is untested under Perl version 5.010
UNIXSERVERS: Start TV LOCK daemon TVSRV1 on yoda
TVSERVER: Starting AIPS TV locking, Unix (local) domain
UNIXSERVERS: Start XAS1 on yoda, DISPLAY :0.0
XAS: ** TrueColor FOUND!!!
XAS: ***  Using shared memory option for speed ***
XAS: Using screen width 1270 height 924,
     max grey level 8191 in 16 grey-scale memories
UNIXSERVERS: Start graphics server TKSRV1 on yoda, display :0.0
UNIXSERVERS: Start message server MSSRV1 on yoda, display :0.0

 at this point the terminal freezes and must by closed and restarted.  If
I run aips on the machine where it was installed, it gives the following
output:

START_AIPS: Will use or start first available Unix Socket based TV
START_AIPS: Your initial AIPS printer is the
START_AIPS:  - system name , AIPS type

START_AIPS: User data area assignments:
DADEVS.PL: This program is untested under Perl version 5.010
  (Using global default file /usr/AIPS/DA00/DADEVS.LIST for DADEVS.PL)
   Disk 1 (1) is /data/aips/XWING_1
   Disk 2 (2) is /data/aips/XWING_2

Tape assignments:
   Tape 1 is REMOTE
   Tape 2 is REMOTE

START_AIPS: Starting TV servers on xwing asynchronously
START_AIPS:  - WITH Unix Sockets as requested...
START_AIPS: Starting TPMON daemons on XWING asynchronously...
Starting up 31DEC09 AIPS with normal priority
Begin the one true AIPS number 1 (release of 31DEC09) at priority =   0
AIPS 1: You are not on a local TV device, welcome stranger
AIPS 1: You are assigned TV device/server   7
AIPS 1: You are assigned graphics device/server   7
AIPS 1: Enter user ID number
?DADEVS.PL: This program is untested under Perl version 5.010
UNIXSERVERS: Start TV LOCK daemon TVSRV1 on xwing
TVSERVER: Starting AIPS TV locking, Unix (local) domain
UNIXSERVERS: Start XAS1 on xwing, DISPLAY localhost:10.0
UNIXSERVERS: Start graphics server TKSRV1 on xwing, display localhost:10.0
XAS: ** TrueColor FOUND!!!
XAS: Cannot use shared memory on remote XAS link
Host name is XWING, display shows it at LOCALHOST
XAS: !!! Shared memory not selected !!!
XAS: Using screen width 1270 height 924,
     max grey level 8191 in 16 grey-scale memories
UNIXSERVERS: Start message server MSSRV1 on xwing, display localhost:10.0

after pressing enter, AIPS asks for the user number and works fine.  I
have check the permissions on all the files and they are set so the other
computers have access to the files.  I have know idea why the two outputs
are different and why AIPS does not run on the other machines.  Any help
would be appreciated.

Matt Merlo