[daip] DTSIM - AIPS

Alessandra Bertarini abertari at mpifr-bonn.mpg.de
Fri May 15 03:35:39 EDT 2009

Hello Leonia,

thank you for the reply. In the mean time I also looked into the code and
found the 'ADNOIZ' subroutine. Since I was digging into the code I found
another strange 'feature'. The routine DTSIM.FOR calculates the
the full polarization noise flux (FLUXN) as follows:

FLUXN(1) = DAMPL1(1) * DAMPL2(1) / SQRT(2.0*BWIDTH*TINT)

DAMPL* is set and calculated in another subroutine called:
DTCALS.FOR.

In DTCAL.FOR is written:

DAMPL Noise power level in Janskys (RCP,LCP)
DAMPL Square root (DGAIN * DTSYS)
DGAIN Point source sensitivity (RCP, LCP) (K/Jy)
DTSYS System temperature (RCP, LCP) (K)

But this makes no sense, right? DGAIN * DTSYS is something which units are
K^2/Jy...

Should not it be DTSYS/DGAIN [Jy] ?

I actually simulated the data putting in DTSIM control file 1/DPFU instead
of DPFU (as it is written in the help file) and then checked that the
fluctuations in flux produced were about the amount expected for that
given Tsys, DPFU, bandwidth and AP.
The two values agrees well if I use 1/DPFU.

Btw about the DTSIM 'feature' of using only one IF instead of three, I
guess it is because in the code there is no do loop around the index that
is reading the IF number although the index is declared in the program....
but I am no fortran expert, so I might be wrong.

Cheers,
Alessandra