[daip] Problem with AIPS

Melanie Gendre mgendre at phas.ubc.ca
Mon Mar 23 16:18:04 EDT 2009

Hi,

I just updated my version of Ubuntu and I now have some problems with the
aips TV. Whenever I start AIPS, the TEKSRV and MSGSRV windows appear but
then disappear after a few seconds. The TV display is never loaded.
I then decided to install the 31DEC09 version of AIPS, to see if this
would help, but I still have the same problem.
Here is what's displayed on my window when I start AIPS:

mgendre at lily:~$ aips
START_AIPS: Your initial AIPS printer is the mika
START_AIPS:  - system name mika, AIPS type PS

START_AIPS: User data area assignments:
  (Using global default file /home/mgendre/AIPS/DA00/DADEVS.LIST for
DADEVS.PL)
   Disk 1 (1) is /home/mgendre/AIPS/DATA/LILY_1

Tape assignments:
   Tape 1 is REMOTE
   Tape 2 is REMOTE

START_AIPS: I am GUESSING you are at a workstation called lily
START_AIPS: Starting TV servers on lily asynchronously
START_AIPS:  - with Internet Sockets...
START_AIPS: Starting TPMON daemons on LILY asynchronously...
Starting up 31DEC09 AIPS with normal priority
Begin the one true AIPS number 1 (release of 31DEC09) at priority =   0
AIPS 1: You are assigned TV device/server   1
AIPS 1: You are assigned graphics device/server   1
AIPS 1: Enter user ID number
?XASERVERS: Start TV LOCK daemon TVSERV on lily
TVSERVER: could not get ssslock service by name: Success
TVSERVER: Check your /etc/services or NIS/YP map
XASERVERS: Start XAS on lily, DISPLAY :0
XAS: ** TrueColor FOUND!!!
XAS: ***  Using shared memory option for speed ***
XAS: Using screen width 1670 height 950,
     max grey level 8191 in 16 grey-scale memories
XASERVERS: Start graphics server TEKSRV on lily, DISPLAY :0
XASERVERS: Start message server MSGSRV on lily, DISPLAY :0
XAS: sssin is not a service
XAS: Check /etc/services or YP/NIS services map
zssslk: tcp/ssslock NOT A SERVICE
XAS: Quitting NOW.
STARTPMON: [LILY] Starting TPMON1 with output SUPPRESSED
ZVTPO3: tcp/aipsmt0 is not a service
ZVTPO3: check /etc/services or NIS map!

AIPS 1: Enter user ID number
?2403
AIPS 1:                          31DEC09 AIPS:
AIPS 1:      Copyright (C) 1995-2009 Associated Universities, Inc.
AIPS 1:            AIPS comes with ABSOLUTELY NO WARRANTY;
AIPS 1:                 for details, type HELP GNUGPL
AIPS 1: This is free software, and you are welcome to redistribute it
AIPS 1: under certain conditions; type EXPLAIN GNUGPL for details.
AIPS 1: Previous session command-line history recovered.
AIPS 1: TAB-key completions enabled, type HELP READLINE for details.
AIPS 1: Recovered POPS environment from last exit

Can you help me?

Thanks
Melanie

--