[daip] Friday afternoon Frustrations

Stan Kurtz s.kurtz at crya.unam.mx
Fri Mar 20 19:59:30 EDT 2009

Dear Designated AIP,

Hi.  This is a pretty minor point, but it's one that I find rather
irritating, so on a Friday afternoon I'm going to indulge myself and
write to you about it.

I have an old version of AIPS around (DEC03 to be exact) and when I
run LISTR/GAIN with docrt=132, it shows all 28 antennas on a single
line with no wrapping.

My regular AIPS (midnight job) always wraps the last two antennas.
It has columns for 29 antennas, while DEC03 only has columns for 28,
but if I put anten -29 to not show that last column (which never has
anything in it anyway), then LISTR still wants to wrap, and refuses to
put antenna 28 on the same line.  I've attached a couple of screen
shots illustrating this.

My terminal width is like 155 or so, but if I put DOCRT=155, then AIPS
complains.  And if I actually set the terminal width to 132, it makes no
difference.

Is there some way I can fix this, so that I can see my CL/SN tables
without the wrapping?  One solution, of course, is that usually there
are a couple of antennas that are not in the array, and if I take them
out via ANTEN -X Y Z (taking the total down to 26) then I can avoid the
wrapping.
This is not too onerous a solution, and if you tell me it's the
official 'fix',  that will be OK.   For those rare occasions when I
actually do have 27 antennas in the array, I can put up with the wrapping!
But since older versions of AIPS didn't seem to have this problem, I
wonder if there isn't a better solution.

Thanks very much, and a pleasant weekend to the Designated AIP.

Stan