[daip] And now back to AIPS questions: can I combine binary & text installs?

Eric Greisen egreisen at nrao.edu
Thu Jun 25 18:39:54 EDT 2009

Michael Bietenholz wrote:
> Is there a way of getting the best of both worlds: a binary install of
> aips with the source-code & ability to COMLNK things if needed
> (31DEC09 if that matters).
>
> I have a couple of modified tasks I still use, and would like the
> ability to modify/recompile something if needed, but I'm happy to use
> your intel-compiled stuff for everthing else.
>
> Would it work if I did a text install and then a binary one overtop?
>
>            cheers,        michael b

No.

You can do a binary installation and buy the correct version of the
Intel compiler.  With that you can compile locally to your heart's
content (CfA does that but has had problems when the compiler versions
do not match).  Alternatively, you can do separate installs in 2 places.
  Use the text install to compile with gnu or whatever, then put the
help and load module files together in some area known by some local
symbolic name.  VERSION = that name will execute the load modules fine.
  The problem is that the binary install and MNJ gives you the Intel
libraries  for linking.  Both types give you all the source code.