[daip] gcc 4.3 and aips

Eric Greisen egreisen at nrao.edu
Wed Jun 17 15:53:16 EDT 2009

Michael Bietenholz wrote:
>    Do you know if the gcc 4.3 compilers work for AIPS?  I'm thinking of
> upgrading my OS and wondering whether I have to install an older
> compiler.

We have not tested it.  NOTE please that the Intel compiler produces
code that is substantially (~40%) faster than any produced by gfortran
for Intel chips.  We distribute that in both 32-bit (LINUX) and 64-bit
(LNX64) versions.  Of course, it then becomes hard to develop your own
aips tasks.

The 4.2.1 worked fine so it would be a surprise and disappointment if
4.3 did not.  But we have been disappointed before....