[daip] UNCON and IMAGR

Eric Greisen egreisen at nrao.edu
Mon Jun 15 11:26:58 EDT 2009

Hans-Rainer Kloeckner wrote:
> Dear Eric,
>
> 	once agin I'm sorry for bothering you.
>
> We are trying to run a SKA simulation that will contain several
> thousands  (~3000-5000) of antennas.
> Is there a limit in the numbers of antennas that can be processed in
> imagr and uncon? If so, could you please point me to the relevant
> sections in the source code that needs editing or is  there an easier
> way to increase the number of antennas?

The worst problem is that the format limits the number of antennas to
255  (BL = 256 * A1 + A2).  It is true that IMAGR will ignore the
baseline so long as no calibration or flagging is done.  I am surprised
that UVCON does not encounter this limit - that would be an error on its
part.

There is a clever trick from Miriad which aips does not implement that
allows antenna numbers to be higher.  But since these numbers are kept
in single-precision floats, there is a rather tight limit since these
floats get less accurate than 1.0 when the numbers are more than 2**24
or so.