[daip] ATLOD

Chris Phillips Chris.Phillips at csiro.au
Sat Jul 25 21:57:17 EDT 2009

Hi Eric,

On a slightly tangental note, I suspect that getting the source
tarball *might* be broken in install.pl.
If you tsuspect this is just me, don't worry (unless someone else
complains!)

I have not thoroughly tested this, and the network I am running this
on is heavily firewalled, but outgoing ftp *is* allowed. I can ftp the
tar ball by hand but install fails.

It does not give any errors until it tried to run tar and the file is
not there. When it reports the tarball it thinks is has, it gives a
blank line (I just used the default answers):

cave00:~/test> perl install.pl
I cannot find a tarball.  Did you mean to do
AipsWiz: ==> a binary installation? [Y/N, default N] : N

===================== AIPS 31DEC09 Install Wizard=====================

Screen 0: INTRODUCTION
----------------------
Welcome to the AIPS Install Wizard (AipsWiz)!
It will do the following:

   1.  Look for (and/or download) the 'tarball' for 31DEC09
       (skipped if installing from CD or network)
   2.  Unpack it wherever you specify (skipped if CD or network)
   3.  Ask you for various settings through a set of menus
   4.  Review your settings, and
   5.  Do the installation with no further input needed.

Things can go wrong (!) so this procedure is not perfect,
but it saves state in a file .AIPSRC in your home area.
So you can easily restart an interrupted install attempt,
without re-entering all your settings.  You can also go
back a screen by typing 'B' to most prompts, or you
can Quit at any menu by entering 'Q'.

          [You may also type B for back, or Q to Quit]

AipsWiz: ===> Press <ENTER> or <RETURN> to get started:

===================== AIPS 31DEC09 Install Wizard=====================

Screen 2: Confirmation
----------------------
Proceeding with 31DEC09 install/upgrade.  Please check:

that this is the file you want (should be >89 Mbytes)

          [You may also type B for back, or Q to Quit]

AipsWiz: ===> Proceed [Y/N, default Y]

===================== AIPS 31DEC09 Install Wizard=====================

Screen 3: Where to unpack
-------------------------
Please tell me where to unpack the 31DEC09 version of AIPS
(This is the so-called AIPS_ROOT area).

The default is /home/vlbi/test

          [You may also type B for back, or Q to Quit]

AipsWiz: ===> AIPS Root area:

AipsWiz: Unpacking the 'tarball' 31DEC09.tar.gz
AipsWiz: in the /home/vlbi/test directory
AipsWiz: with command: tar zxvfU 31DEC09.tar.gz
AipsWiz: This may generate some errors if you are overwriting, but
AipsWiz: these ('Cannot unlink: directory not empty') are benign.
AipsWiz: (printing a dot every 100 files for your amusement...
tar: 31DEC09.tar.gz: Cannot open: No such file or directory
tar: Child returned status 2

AipsWiz: OOPS.  Zero files?  Not very useful, I'd say.
AipsWiz: The unpacking apparently did not work.  Perhaps you have
AipsWiz: an older version of GNU tar, or your system's native tar
AipsWiz: did not like the options I used:

	tar zxvfU 31DEC09.tar.gz

AipsWiz: Please try to unpack it yourself and then restart me.
AipsWiz: If 1000s of file names came out, tar worked but fooled me.
AipsWiz: Restart me and I should be able to go on.

AipsWiz: Install Wizard stopping.  Current settings saved in ~/.AIPSRC
AipsWiz: Abandoning ship!  Goodbye.
cave00:~/test>

I have just grabbed the tarball by hand and am trying to go on.

Cheers
Chris