[daip] aips install problem 4

Eric Greisen egreisen at nrao.edu
Wed Jul 15 12:10:53 EDT 2009

huisiyan at sina.com wrote:
> *Eric Greisen
> hello! I have changed perl install.pl to install.pl -n but I still meet
> some problems. Then I find that when it needs to type the data area , I
> thought that type enter is ok , but the problem remained. Then I type
> the recommended data area and it seems work. But new problem appears:
> *AipsWiz:         -- done.
> AipsWiz:
> The AIPS Midnight Job is a way to keep your AIPS
> AipsWiz: installation up to date.  It is secure, relatively
> AipsWiz: easy, and can be done on demand or in a cron job
> AipsWiz: (i.e. periodically, daily or weekly or whenever).
> AipsWiz: It does require that you have the cvs software
> AipsWiz: package installed on your system.
>
> AipsWiz: This script will set up the infrastructure for you
> AipsWiz: to be *able* to run the Midnight Job (MNJ), but you
> AipsWiz: have the power to make it run or not.
>
> AipsWiz: About to run 'MAKE.BMNJ '...
> AipsWiz: This will generate a fair bit of output.
> .: 1: Can't open /home/xiexiaoyi/aips/31DEC09/UNKNOWN/SYSTEM/CDVER.SH
> AipsWiz: Not good; no
> /home/xiexiaoyi/aips/31DEC09/LINUX/SYSTEM/XIES/UPDCONFIG found; did
> MAKE.BMNJ fail?
> AipsWiz: You should investigate this.
> AipsWiz: ==> Press <ENTER> to acknowledge:: AipsWiz:  =====> Generate
> system files via FILAIP/POPSGN...
> AipsWiz: This will generate some output, including a copyright (left)
> AipsWiz: statement and some prompts, but should end with a 'Done!' if
> AipsWiz: everything worked...
>
> AipsWiz: About to run FILAIP.  If this is a re-installation, you
> AipsWiz: will be prompted for an AIPS Manager password.  The
> AipsWiz: default password is AMANAGER
>
> Cannot find /home/xiexiaoyi/aips/31DEC09/UNKNOWN/LOAD/FILAIP.EXE
> AipsWiz: Error: FILAIP did not work, or there's a missing file!
> AipsWiz: Error: This may mean that FILAIP did not work (it should have
> AipsWiz: Error: created it and many other files in that area).
> AipsWiz: Error: You can try running it by hand after (a) dotting the
> AipsWiz: Error: LOGIN.SH file or sourcing the LOGIN.CSH file; and
> AipsWiz: Error: (b) Typing 'RUN FILAIP'.  You will then be asked for
> AipsWiz: Error: two parameters.  Use
> 8 2
>
> AipsWiz: Error: as the standard values.
> AipsWiz: Error: You will also have to RUN POPSGN if that works;
>
> AipsWiz: Error: Feed it
>
> 0 POPSDAT TST
>
> AipsWiz: Error: when it asks for Idebug, etc. and press RETURN when
> AipsWiz: Error: you see the '>' prompt.
>
> AipsWiz: Install Wizard stopping.  Current settings saved in ~/.AIPSRC
> AipsWiz: Abandoning ship!  Goodbye.
>
> I don't know how to solve the problem and I wish you could make a
> solution for me.Thank you very much indeed!
>
> a new aips user
>
> *
>
> *

I suspect if I could log into your computer I could fix this quickly -
but I am still telling you to go look at the HOSTS.LIST file.  The
failures are ALL coming from the system failing to identify your machine
correctly.  Look at the word UNKNOWN above.  It says that it does not
know what operating system the machine that has the name of your machine
is running.  That is controlled by HOSTS.LIST and once that file is
created, the file is not changed.  You MUST edit it by hand if fixes are
needed and they are needed.

Try

cd $AIPS_ROOT
source LOGIN.CSH      (or . LOGIN.SH if you use bash)
echo $HOST
echo $SITE
echo $ARCH

Then look at the HOSTS.LIST file to see why they are what they are.