[daip] STARS/GREYS

Eric Greisen egreisen at nrao.edu
Tue Jan 20 15:36:43 EST 2009

John M. Cannon wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I have a question regarding figure creation in AIPS.  I am using the
> task STARS to overlay apertures on images, then using GREYS/LWPLA to
> make PS files.  I am wondering if it is possible to create a figure that
> has overlays in two different colors.
>
> By way of example, say I have one ".ST" file that contains the
> coordinates of one set of apertures; I would like to color these blue.
> I have a second file that contains the coordinates a second set of
> apertures; I would like to color these red.

GREYS does not have the ability to plot 2 separate ST files.  But, if
you keep everything but INVERS the same, you can make 2 identical
PostScript files with GREYS/LWPLA except that the two starts parts will
be different.

Edit one of the two files - find the comment
     "possible positions from ST table version"
which will be followed by the stars plots and then some other comment.

Ahead of the stars plots put
     0 0 1 setrgbcolor
for blue.  Note that 0.2 0.2 0.8 setrgbcolor might be better.  After the
stars section put in for red
     1 0 0 setrgbcolor
or 0.8 0.2 0.2 setrgbcolor for a darker more contrasty color.  Then copy
the stars section from the other PostScript file into the first file.

Follow the added section with 0 0 0 setrgbcolor for black lines.

AIPS PostScript files are deliberately kept simple and easy to read to
allow them to be edited.  There is a help file HELP POSTSCRIPT with lots
of useful suggestions and comments.

Use gv to check your file as you proceed.