[daip] Wimpy compiler

Eric Greisen egreisen at nrao.edu
Mon Feb 23 14:00:52 EST 2009

Nanni Mauro wrote:
> Hello Eric
>
> We have installed the binary  AIPS  Dec 09  on  Fedora 8 , 9 and 10
> Intel computers and works well.
> Then users ask to as to compile a modules like CALIB .
> We have try the Intel compilers ( 9, 10 and also 11 release),  but with
> the new modules and also with original CALIB we get the errors "wimpy
> compler".
> We get the sources of all the Aips modules and try to rebuild the
> package, but  linking  the modules  (ld) we get  also the "wimpy
> compiler" messages.
> So we decide to try the standard gnu compiler   ..... and we gave
> compiled all the AIPS package and also our modules.
>
> Have you an idea of the reason that we get the wimpy message on library
> APLLINUX. APLSUB when we use the Intel compiler that is the compiler
> that you use to build the  binary  distribution  ?
>
> Thank you
> M.Nanni

There is little need for you to be compiling at all - we supply binary
versions of everything.  Of course, if you have your own version of
CALIB, then that is different.

The "wimpy compiler" joke is a summary statement saying something
failed.  The log file from the compilation will say what is the real
problem.  The Intel compiler has problems with handling libraries the
way AIPS has done traditionally so that may be the issue.  Send me the
log files and I may be able to say more.  But the wimpy compiler is like
the dies of unnatural causes when tasks fail - a summary but the not the
important information.