[daip] Problem with install

Eric Greisen egreisen at nrao.edu
Tue Feb 3 13:04:50 EST 2009

Kevin Marvel wrote:
> Thanks Eric...that worked much better.
>
> Now I appear to be missing  libXext.6.dylib as the messages below
> indicate.  I
> have a Mac Book Pro and did install the Xcode extras off of the install
> disks...somehow
> I don't think I got everything.  The directory it is searching for the
> library does have
> libXext.6.4.dylib if that is of any importance.
>
> Sorry for the bozo questions...I'm becoming more of an administrator of
> late and less
> of a computer expert...!
>
> Thanks for any help you can provide on whatever timeline.  I'm not in a
> rush.
>
> Kev.
>

> kbmarvel:~ kmarvel$ aips
> START_AIPS: Your initial AIPS printer is the
> START_AIPS:  - system name , AIPS type
>
> START_AIPS: User data area assignments:
>   (Using global default file /Users/kmarvel/myaips/DA00/DADEVS.LIST for
> DADEVS.PL)
>    Disk 1 (1) is /Users/kmarvel/myaips/DATA/KBMARVEL_1
>
> Tape assignments:
>    Tape 1 is REMOTE
>    Tape 2 is REMOTE
>
> START_AIPS: I am GUESSING you are at a workstation called kbmarvel
> START_AIPS: Starting TV servers on kbmarvel asynchronously
> START_AIPS:  - with Internet Sockets...
> START_AIPS: Starting TPMON daemons on KBMARVEL asynchronously...
> Starting up 31DEC09 AIPS with normal priority
> Begin the one true AIPS number 1 (release of 31DEC09) at priority =   0
> AIPS 1: You are assigned TV device/server   1
> AIPS 1: You are assigned graphics device/server   1
> AIPS 1: Enter user ID number
> ?XASERVERS: TVSERV is already running on host kbmarvel, user kmarvel
> XASERVERS: Start XAS on kbmarvel, DISPLAY :0
> dyld: Library not loaded: /usr/X11R6/lib/libXext.6.dylib
>   Referenced from: /Users/kmarvel/myaips/31DEC09/MACINT/LOAD/./XAS
>   Reason: image not found
> XASERVERS: Start graphics server TEKSRV on kbmarvel, DISPLAY :0
> /Users/kmarvel/myaips/31DEC09/SYSTEM/UNIX/XASERVERS: line 238: xterm:
> command not found
> XASERVERS: Start message server MSGSRV on kbmarvel, DISPLAY :0
> /Users/kmarvel/myaips/31DEC09/SYSTEM/UNIX/XASERVERS: line 302: xterm:
> command not found

I see a couple of things that worry me - the xterm command not found is
the more serious.  It suggests that XWindows is not in your path - is it
running?  The library business can always be solved by making a soft
link of libXext.6.dylib to libXext.6.4.dylib but I am not sure what else
is going wrong...

Wes - any ideas?