[daip] Aips & Time Machine

Eric Greisen egreisen at nrao.edu
Fri Aug 7 13:30:39 EDT 2009

Katherine Blundell wrote:
> Hi Eric,
>
> I've been running aips very happily on my Mac Pro for a while now, but
> have hit a "too many files" problem with using Time Machine - Apple's
> backup mechanism which is rather good, but not really designed for the
> vast numbers of files I have in my aips data directory.   It's been
> suggested to me that if I were to make an Apple disc image (.dmg file)
> of my /AIPS/DATA/LOCALHOST_1/ directory and write that all as a dmg file
> somewhere, and have a symlink point to this file from
> /AIPS/DATA/LOCALHOST_1/ that Time Machine will be happy(er) because it
> will think that it is backing up one file, but AIPS will still think it
> is writing files as normal or at least via a symlink.    Before I try
> this out, does it seem sensible to you?

Unfortunately, Wes is on vacation and he would be the person to ask as
he understands Macs and I do not.

Do you have an /AIPS/DATA/LOCALHOST_2 area?  Try it with that (on the
assumption that you can undo it without trouble) rather than _1 which is
rather special.  I suspect that there may be real problems with
creating/writing new files, but perhaps not.

In fact I would recommend that you make a whole new data area with only
a few files in it copied from one of your existing areas - add it to
$AIPS_ROOT/DA00/DADEVS.LIST and then try it with that area.

Eric