[daip] Problems getting tv server with iMac

Marc Audard Marc.Audard at unige.ch
Wed Apr 29 11:16:43 EDT 2009

Dear AIPS team,

I have installed 31DEC08 on my iMac 24" with Intel (Leopard).
Compilation worked fine, but my main problem is with the TV server: I
get the infamous message:

Shared memory id failure: Invalid argument

more details:
Starting up 31DEC08 AIPS with normal priority
Begin the one true AIPS number 1 (release of 31DEC08) at priority =   0
AIPS 1: You are not on a local TV device, welcome stranger
AIPS 1: You are assigned TV device/server   3
AIPS 1: You are assigned graphics device/server   3
AIPS 1: Enter user ID number
?UNIXSERVERS: Start TV LOCK daemon TVSRV2 on audard
TVSERVER: Starting AIPS TV locking, Unix (local) domain
UNIXSERVERS: Start XAS2 on audard, DISPLAY :0
XAS: ** TrueColor FOUND!!!
XAS: ***  Using shared memory option for speed ***
XAS: Using screen width 3830 height 1100,
      max grey level 8191 in 16 grey-scale memories
Shared memory id failure: Invalid argument
UNIXSERVERS: Start graphics server TKSRV2 on audard, display :0
UNIXSERVERS: Start message server MSSRV2 on audard, display :0
STARTPMON: [AUDARD] Starting TPMON1 with output SUPPRESSED

But I have made all the appropriate recommended changes:

% sysctl kern.sysv
kern.sysv.shmall: 4096
kern.sysv.shmseg: 8
kern.sysv.shmmni: 32
kern.sysv.shmmin: 1
kern.sysv.shmmax: 16777216

(NB: I tried the other recommended value of 10485760 and it did not
work either)

I also tried with
setenv DISPLAY localhost:0

and replacing localhost with my localhost name

I have added the necessary info in /etc/services:
sssin           5000/tcp    SSSIN  # AIPS TV server
ssslock         5002/tcp    SSSLOCK # AIPS TV lock
msgserv         5008/tcp    MSGSERV # AIPS Message server
tekserv         5009/tcp    TEKSERV # AIPS Tekserver
aipsmt0         5010/tcp    AIPSMT0 # AIPS remote FITS disk access
aipsmt1         5011/tcp    AIPSMT1 # AIPS remote tape 1
aipsmt2         5012/tcp    AIPSMT2 # AIPS remote tape 2

My firewall allows TVSERV.EXE, TEKSRV.EX, TPMON.EXE, and MSGSRV.EXE
for incoming connections (I cannot specify specific TDP/UDP ports with
Leopard).

Not sure what else to do...

How can this be solved?

Thanks

Marc

Marc Audard                           E-mail: Marc.Audard at unige.ch
  ISDC & Observatoire de Geneve
  Ch. d'Ecogia 16                      Tel: +41 22 379 2166
  1290 Versoix                         Fax: +41 22 379 2133
  Switzerland                          http://isdc.unige.ch/youngstars/