[daip] Parallel AIPS?

Eric Greisen egreisen at nrao.edu
Wed Apr 22 10:38:34 EDT 2009

Karl Menten wrote:
> Eric,
>
> Attached is an email announcing the opportunity to competitively get
> time on super computers. I though about applying just to get acquainted
> with "the system". However, this would really only make sense if some
> sort of parallelized AIPS existed. Is anything useful available?

At present we are still anticipating rather than doing parallelization.
Bill Cotton's obit package has done some parallel tests and we expect to
do some later.  But Bill's tests on multi-threading suggest that it has
to be explicitly coded rather than automatic threading and the cluster
computing also has to be explicitly coded.  I am considering designs in
which a user can spread his problem to multiple cpus - but the user will
have to control it I expect.  All this may not be of interest on a super
computer.