[daip] VLANT problems

Eric Greisen egreisen at nrao.edu
Mon Apr 20 10:45:14 EDT 2009

Robert J. Harris wrote:

>>> I'm using the 31DEC08 release of AIPS and I'm trying to apply baseline
>>> corrections to a P band data set from 2003 using VLANT.  I'm working on a
>>> macbook with intel processor.  I've checked to make sure that the baseline
>>> corrections from 2003 are loaded onto my computer in the AIPS/TEXT/STARS
>>> directory, (they are under the name VLA.ants.2003) and that the system
>>> variable AIPSTARS is defined.  However, when I run the task, I get the
>>> following error:
>>>
>>> LOCALH> VLANT1: Task VLANT  (release of 31DEC08) begins
>>> LOCALH> VLANT1: ZABORS: signal 11 received
>>> LOCALH> VLANT1: ABORT!

We have finally found the problem - when we got our hands on a Mac that
showed it.  It turns out that on some Macs (not others and no LInux
machines) the Z routine that reads the text files aborts when the first
line in the file is null (no blanks or anything).  Other null lines
cause no problem - only the first.  Unfortunately, the 2009 text file
had a null line at the start.  It doesn't anymore.  What causes the
abort is still a mystery - optimization level does not matter, but if we
run the task under the debugger it works.

Anyway, it should work for you now.