[daip] VLANT problem

Eric Greisen egreisen at nrao.edu
Mon Apr 20 10:39:26 EDT 2009

Kim Herrmann wrote:
> Dear Eric,
>
> I have recently started at Lowell Observatory as Deidre Hunter's postdoc
> to work on her LITTLE (Local Irregulars That Trace Luminosity Extremes)
> THINGS (The H I Nearby Galaxy Survey) project.  Since I'm new to radio
> astronomy, Deidre has been teaching me about reducing VLA data with
> AIPS.  However, we were following a LITTLE THINGS AIPS recipe with new
> data (D array of DDO 52 with only one frequency) when we had the
> following problem with VLANT:
>
>  >default VLANT
>  >getn 3
> AIPS 1: Got(1)   disk= 1  user=   4   type=UV   DDO52-D.LINCOP.1
>  >go
>
> This returned:
>
> tortue> VLANT1: Task VLANT  (release of 31DEC08) begins
> tortue> VLANT1: /tmp/baselines.vlais08 copied from the VLA web site
> tortue> VLANT1: ZABORS: signal 11 received
> tortue> VLANT1: ABORT!

We have found the source of this problem finally - when we got our hands
on a Mac laptop that showed the problem.  It turns out that, if the
first line in the text file is a null (not even 1 blank) then the Z
routine that reads the file aborts - but only on some Macs and not
others and on no Linux machines although the Z routines are identical.
Unfortunately, an initial null line had crept in to the 2009 text file
causing the problem.  We have repaired that file.  VLANT should now work
as intended.