[daip] aips is not working.

Eric Greisen egreisen at nrao.edu
Tue Sep 23 10:36:16 EDT 2008

Akash Pirya Saxena wrote:
> Dear Sir/Madam,
>
> I have installed AIPS 31DEC07 on my computer having version fedora core 7.
> I installed it 15 days ago, that time aips was working.
> I installed it in my home AREA.
> But now, it is not working. I tried with the following commands:
> *source AIPS/LOGIN.CH
> aips tv = local (here the message windows is opening but TV Server
> Windows is not opening)*
>
> and
>
> *source AIPS/LOGIN.CH
> ./START_AIPS tv = local (here the messages comes in the terminal
> /home/akash/AIPS/31DEC07/SYSTEM/UNIX/START_AIPS: Permission denied )
>

> *but aips is not statring.
> Would you please suggest me, how to start aips.
>
> With Regards and Thanks
> Akash Pirya

1. Send mail only to daip at nrao.edu.  aipsmail at nrao.edu is a synonym.

2. The file name is LOGIN.CSH suggesting that your source command as
reported above anyway did not work.  (There should have been an error
message like file not found.)

3. The aips tv=local command partially worked you say but not
everything.  You must send me all the messages (exactly - use drag and
drop if possible) that come out when you do this command.  I can then
help you debug the TV issue.  Note that the TV and TEK windows come up
in icon form.

4. The 2nd attempt above is very odd - di you cd to $SYSUNIX first?
The START_AIPS command that you should be executing is in the AIPS
directory (where LOGIN.CSH is).  The copy in $SYSUNIX does not have
execute privilege and has not been modified for your $AIPS_ROOT.