[daip] TV Display on Macbook

Eric Greisen egreisen at nrao.edu
Tue Sep 9 13:38:42 EDT 2008

emdoug at bu.edu wrote:
> Hi Eric,
> This is what is printed after typing sysctl kern.sysv
>
> kern.sysv.shmmax: 10485760
> kern.sysv.shmmin: 1
> kern.sysv.shmmni: 32
> kern.sysv.shmseg: 8
> kern.sysv.shmall: 4096
> kern.sysv.semmni: 87381
> kern.sysv.semmns: 87381
> kern.sysv.semmnu: 87381
> kern.sysv.semmsl: 87381
> kern.sysv.semume: 10
>
> Yet, I am still getting this error:
>
> XAS: ***  Using shared memory option for speed ***
> XAS: Using screen width 1142 height 620,
>      max grey level 196 in 16 grey-scale memories
> Shared memory id failure: Cannot allocate memory
>

> And:
> [LOCALHOST:~/AIPS] NedDougl% ipcs -a
> Message Queues:
> T     ID     KEY        MODE       OWNER    GROUP  CREATOR   CGROUP CBYTES
>  QNUM QBYTES LSPID LRPID   STIME    RTIME    CTIME
>
> Shared Memory:
> T     ID     KEY        MODE       OWNER    GROUP  CREATOR   CGROUP NATTCH
>  SEGSZ  CPID  LPID   ATIME    DTIME    CTIME
>
> Semaphores:
> T     ID     KEY        MODE       OWNER    GROUP  CREATOR   CGROUP NSEMS
>  OTIME    CTIME

I should have noticed something else odd about your message.  The "max
grey level 196" is not normal at all and states that you have in some
way select an 8-bit PseudoColor visual rather than a 24- or 32-bit
TrueColor visual in the X windows.  Did you specifically request that in
your .Xdefaults file?  I cannot get my X windows to do 8 bit - it has 32
visuals all 24-bit TrueColor - say xdpyinfo to see what is offered on
your machine.