[daip] AIPS installation failure

Eric Greisen egreisen at nrao.edu
Mon Oct 20 11:01:44 EDT 2008

Robert Dunn wrote:
> Hi
>
> I'm trying to install AIPS.  I've run the wizard, but it fails with the
> output appended below.  It doesn't believe I've got any data areas
> defined.  However, I have defined them and there is an entry in
> DADEVS.LIST.  Can you please tell me where to go from here as I'm not
> sure why the installer doesn't like the entry in DADEVS.LIST?
>
> Kind regards
>
> Robert Dunn
>
> Excellence Cluster Universe
> Technische Universitaet Muenchen

> MAKE.BMNJ - Your configuration for the AIPS midnight job is complete.
> AipsWiz: =========================================================
> AipsWiz: MAKE.BMNJ seemed to work
> (/usr/local/bin/aips/31DEC08/LINUX/SYSTEM/EXLCLUNIV/UPDCONFIG found)
> AipsWiz: ==> Press <ENTER> to continue...:
> AipsWiz:  =====> Generate system files via FILAIP/POPSGN...
> AipsWiz: This will generate some output, including a copyright (left)
> AipsWiz: statement and some prompts, but should end with a 'Done!' if
> AipsWiz: everything worked...
>
> AipsWiz: About to run FILAIP.  If this is a re-installation, you
> AipsWiz: will be prompted for an AIPS Manager password.  The
> AipsWiz: default password is AMANAGER
>
> Data disk assignments:
> DADEVS.PL: This program is untested under Perl version 5.010
>   (Using global default file /usr/local/bin/aips/DA00/DADEVS.LIST for
> DADEVS.PL)
> DADEVS.PL error - no disks selected at all
> This is a FATAL error and nothing in AIPS will work.

> HELP!  No Defined data areas!  You can proceed now to run
> program FILAIP, but you may see LOTS of complaints about
> not being able to access the message file.  If you think
> there should have been some data areas defined, please
> check DADEVS.LIST or .dadevs files, or AIPSASSN.\*
> If you want to proceed, enter YES (uppercase) now:
> AipsWiz: Error: FILAIP did not work, or there's a missing file!
> AipsWiz: Error: This may mean that FILAIP did not work (it should have
> AipsWiz: Error: created it and many other files in that area).
> AipsWiz: Error: You can try running it by hand after (a) dotting the
> AipsWiz: Error: LOGIN.SH file or sourcing the LOGIN.CSH file; and
> AipsWiz: Error: (b) Typing 'RUN FILAIP'.  You will then be asked for
> AipsWiz: Error: two parameters.  Use
> 8 2
>
> AipsWiz: Error: as the standard values.
> AipsWiz: Error: You will also have to RUN POPSGN if that works;
>
> AipsWiz: Error: Feed it
>
> 0 POPSDAT TST
>

> AipsWiz: Error: when it asks for Idebug, etc. and press RETURN when
> AipsWiz: Error: you see the '>' prompt.
>

> AipsWiz: Install Wizard stopping.  Current settings saved in ~/.AIPSRC
> AipsWiz: Abandoning ship!  Goodbye.
> /usr/local/bin/aips>

> #;  Copyright (C) 1995
> [...]

The question is - what is your $HOST host name?  The data areas listed
above is fine if $HOST is RJHD.  Otherwise it cannot find the area for
itself.  You can either rename the area with the host name in it
somewhere - or put a + in column 1 rather than the - which says all
hosts use this area.  Assuming that you have only one host in this
installation, that would be fine.

Then run FILAIP and POPSGN with the parameters recommended.