[daip] AIPS installation failure

Robert Dunn robert.dunn at ph.tum.de
Mon Oct 20 05:20:19 EDT 2008

Hi

I'm trying to install AIPS.  I've run the wizard, but it fails with the
output appended below.  It doesn't believe I've got any data areas
defined.  However, I have defined them and there is an entry in
DADEVS.LIST.  Can you please tell me where to go from here as I'm not
sure why the installer doesn't like the entry in DADEVS.LIST?

Kind regards

Robert Dunn

Excellence Cluster Universe
Technische Universitaet Muenchen

MAKE.BMNJ - Your configuration for the AIPS midnight job is complete.
AipsWiz: =========================================================
AipsWiz: MAKE.BMNJ seemed to work
(/usr/local/bin/aips/31DEC08/LINUX/SYSTEM/EXLCLUNIV/UPDCONFIG found)
AipsWiz: ==> Press <ENTER> to continue...:
AipsWiz:  =====> Generate system files via FILAIP/POPSGN...
AipsWiz: This will generate some output, including a copyright (left)
AipsWiz: statement and some prompts, but should end with a 'Done!' if
AipsWiz: everything worked...

AipsWiz: About to run FILAIP.  If this is a re-installation, you
AipsWiz: will be prompted for an AIPS Manager password.  The
AipsWiz: default password is AMANAGER

Data disk assignments:
DADEVS.PL: This program is untested under Perl version 5.010
  (Using global default file /usr/local/bin/aips/DA00/DADEVS.LIST for
DADEVS.PL)
DADEVS.PL error - no disks selected at all
This is a FATAL error and nothing in AIPS will work.

HELP!  No Defined data areas!  You can proceed now to run
program FILAIP, but you may see LOTS of complaints about
not being able to access the message file.  If you think
there should have been some data areas defined, please
check DADEVS.LIST or .dadevs files, or AIPSASSN.\*
If you want to proceed, enter YES (uppercase) now:
AipsWiz: Error: FILAIP did not work, or there's a missing file!
AipsWiz: Error: This may mean that FILAIP did not work (it should have
AipsWiz: Error: created it and many other files in that area).
AipsWiz: Error: You can try running it by hand after (a) dotting the
AipsWiz: Error: LOGIN.SH file or sourcing the LOGIN.CSH file; and
AipsWiz: Error: (b) Typing 'RUN FILAIP'.  You will then be asked for
AipsWiz: Error: two parameters.  Use
8 2

AipsWiz: Error: as the standard values.
AipsWiz: Error: You will also have to RUN POPSGN if that works;

AipsWiz: Error: Feed it

0 POPSDAT TST

AipsWiz: Error: when it asks for Idebug, etc. and press RETURN when
AipsWiz: Error: you see the '>' prompt.

AipsWiz: Install Wizard stopping.  Current settings saved in ~/.AIPSRC
AipsWiz: Abandoning ship!  Goodbye.