[daip] ZFI2: REQUEST FOR BYTES?

Eric Greisen egreisen at nrao.edu
Thu Oct 16 18:21:47 EDT 2008

Dan Batcheldor wrote:
> Dear help,
>
> At RIT we are running 31DEC07 on multiple hosts for multiple users.
> The machines are running SunOS 5.9 Generic_122300-22 sun4u sparc
> SUNW,Sun-Blade-1500.
>
> We have the following error messages on start up:
>
> AIPS 1: You are assigned TV device/server  10
> AIPS 1: You are assigned graphics device/server  10
>   ZMSGDK: OPER = READ LUN = 12 NREC =        1
>   ZFI2: REQUEST FOR BYTES 1 THRU = 1024 BEYOND EOF = 0
>   ZMSGER: IN ZFI2 ERRNO = 22 (Invalid argument)
> MSGWRT ERROR      3 AT OPEN
> AIPS 1: Enter user ID number
>
> I have looked through as much documentation as possible as to the
> cause of this problem, without any luck - hence the email.
>
> Please could you tell us what is ZFI2, what the related error 22
> means, and how we could possible fix it?
>
> I hope that I have provided you with enough information to diagnose
> the problem, but please let me know if there is anything else we need
> to do in order to help.

Don't chace things too much without asking - I can usually answer basic
questions fairly simply.  In this case, the message says that the bottom
level subroutine (ZFI2.C) tried to read the first record of the message
but that the message file has no disk at all.  I know it is the message
file because of the ZMSGER and MSGWRT words.  It is the message file for
user 1 because the message occurs ahead of the request for user number.
I suspect that aips would keep right on running if you gave it a value
2 through 40 some thousand (36^3 - 1).

cd to your data area
rm  MSD001000.001\;

and this message should go away.