[daip] aips problem on laptop

Lynn Matthews lmatthew at haystack.mit.edu
Wed Oct 15 13:32:06 EDT 2008

I have recently become unable to run aips on my Mac laptop and have
been unable to identify what could have changed to cause the problem.
I am connected to the internet via a wireless network.

If I simply type "aips", I get the following messages:

START_AIPS: Your initial AIPS printer is the
START_AIPS:  - system name , AIPS type

START_AIPS: User data area assignments:
   (Using global default file /Users/lmatthews/AIPS/DA00/DADEVS.LIST for
DADEVS.P
L)
    Disk 1 (1) is /Users/lmatthews/AIPS/DATA/COELACANTH_1

Tape assignments:
    Tape 1 is REMOTE
    Tape 2 is REMOTE

START_AIPS: I am GUESSING you are at a workstation called coelacanth
START_AIPS: Checking if  is reachable via ssh...
START_AIPS: Cannot start remote TV servers on , sorry!
START_AIPS: remote command gave this error:
ssh: echo: No address associated with nodename
START_AIPS: check your secure shell setup, in particular
START_AIPS: whether you have a passphrase enabled.  You may
START_AIPS: wish to try 'ssh -v  pwd' to see
START_AIPS: what the problem is.
START_AIPS: Starting TPMON daemons on COELACANTH asynchronously...
Starting up 31DEC05 AIPS with normal priority
Begin the one true AIPS number 1 (release of 31DEC05) at priority =   0
ZSTRT1: ZACTV8: COULD NOT TRANSLATE LOGICAL =
ZSTRT1: ZACTV8: TVALT
ZSTRT1: ZACTV8: Assuming ALT0.
AIPS 1: ZWHOMI: Cannot translate logical = AIPSTVS

This seems to suggest a problem with ssh; I've tried to circumvent this
using "aips tv=local", but I still have similar problems:

START_AIPS: Will use or start first available Unix Socket based TV
START_AIPS: Your initial AIPS printer is the
START_AIPS:  - system name , AIPS type

START_AIPS: User data area assignments:
   (Using global default file /Users/lmatthews/AIPS/DA00/DADEVS.LIST for
DADEVS.PL)
    Disk 1 (1) is /Users/lmatthews/AIPS/DATA/COELACANTH_1

Tape assignments:
    Tape 1 is REMOTE
    Tape 2 is REMOTE

START_AIPS: I am GUESSING you are at a workstation called coelacanth
START_AIPS:  - but have chosen to run the TV locally on COELACANTH
START_AIPS: Checking if  is reachable via ssh...
START_AIPS: Cannot start remote TV servers on , sorry!
START_AIPS: remote command gave this error:
ssh: echo: No address associated with nodename
START_AIPS: check your secure shell setup, in particular
START_AIPS: whether you have a passphrase enabled.  You may
START_AIPS: wish to try 'ssh -v  pwd' to see
START_AIPS: what the problem is.
START_AIPS: Starting TPMON daemons on COELACANTH asynchronously...
Starting up 31DEC05 AIPS with normal priority
Begin the one true AIPS number 1 (release of 31DEC05) at priority =   0
ZSTRT1: ZACTV8: COULD NOT TRANSLATE LOGICAL =
ZSTRT1: ZACTV8: TVALT
ZSTRT1: ZACTV8: Assuming ALT0.
AIPS 1: ZWHOMI: Cannot translate logical = AIPSTVS

My /etc/hosts file shows the following:

##
# Host Database
#
# localhost is used to configure the loopback interface
# when the system is booting.  Do not change this entry.
##
127.0.0.1       localhost
255.255.255.255 broadcasthost
::1             localhost

Any ideas as to what might be happening would be appreciated. Thanks,

Lynn Matthews