[daip] POSSM: BP tables & SOURCE= ''

Eric Greisen egreisen at nrao.edu
Mon Oct 13 11:20:31 EDT 2008

Michael Rupen wrote:
> Dear Daip,
>    in writing up a recipe for spectral line data reduction last week, I
> noticed that 31DEC08 POSSM with APARM(8)=2 (to plot the BP table) and
> SOURCE=''(or SOURCE='*') runs successfully...but produces no plots.  I tried
> a variety of other inputs for the rest of the variables -- e.g., nplot,
> solint, etc. -- with the same result.  It would be nice if POSSM would
> interpret source='' as "all sources" rather than (apparently) "no sources."
> I'm usually interested in seeing what the BP table looks like, regardless of
> which source was used in its derivation, and had hoped that SOLINT= -1
> sould suffice to plot every BP entry separately (while SOLINT= 0 would
> average over all of them).  Admittedly I could simply step through the
> sources in the BP table but it would be nice to be able to do that
> automatically.

I tried it and found the following:

1. If the BP table has SOURCE=0, then any SOURCE setting will plot the
    BP data and the source name chosen will appear as if it were the
    source of the BP

2. If the BP table identifies the source, the SOURCE=' ' or SOURCE=
    a list including the identified one will display the data.  A SOURCE
    not including the identified one fails to plot anything and is happy
    with that.