[daip] Problems with installation on hardy heron/linux 64bits

Richard Dodson richard.dodson at uwa.edu.au
Thu Oct 9 22:31:58 EDT 2008

Hi Eric,

 Any news on progress with the new mount type code?

>>  -  FILAIP would not work as this machine is 64 bits, so I could not
>> use the binary installation, therefore I assume I have to do a
>> compiled installation.
>>

> That is a typo - KEYPCP is correct.  I have just made this correction in the
> official (or official after 10 MDT tonight) version.

 Mightnight job to the rescue!

> I am surprised that things did not work with binary installation.  We run
> the 32-bit Linux load modules on AMD and recent RedHat 64-bit machines with
> no trouble at all.

This is Ubuntu 8.04 LTS
Linux astro-556 2.6.24-19-generic #1 SMP Wed Aug 20 17:53:40 UTC 2008 x86_64

> Do you have the messages that arose when "FILAIP did not work"?  Lots of
> things can go wrong during installation so that logicals or data areas or
> whatever are not quite right when install.pl gets to FILAIP.

The FILAIP executable (compiled as 32-bit) was there, but when run
would claim "file missing". In an old duty aips message/discussion
there was a similar problem which helped me solve this problem. ...
here are the AIPS error messages from the install.pl script:

Starting up FILAIP (RELEASE OF 31DEC08)
exec: 4: /AIPS-bin/31DEC08/LINUX/LOAD/FILAIP.EXE: not found
AipsWiz: Error: FILAIP did not work, or there's a missing file!
AipsWiz: Error: This may mean that FILAIP did not work (it should have
AipsWiz: Error: created it and many other files in that area).
AipsWiz: Error: You can try running it by hand after (a) dotting the
AipsWiz: Error: LOGIN.SH file or sourcing the LOGIN.CSH file; and
AipsWiz: Error: (b) Typing 'RUN FILAIP'.  You will then be asked for
AipsWiz: Error: two parameters.  Use
8 2
AipsWiz: Error: as the standard values.
AipsWiz: Error: You will also have to RUN POPSGN if that works;

The FILAIP executable messages:

binary version:

% file /AIPS-bin/31DEC08/LINUX/LOAD/FILAIP.EXE
/AIPS-bin/31DEC08/LINUX/LOAD/FILAIP.EXE: ELF 32-bit LSB executable,
Intel 80386, version 1 (SYSV), for GNU/Linux 2.2.5, dynamically linked
(uses shared libs), not stripped

% /AIPS-bin/31DEC08/LINUX/LOAD/FILAIP.EXE
 /AIPS-bin/31DEC08/LINUX/LOAD/FILAIP.EXE: No such file or directory

Compiled version:

% file /AIPS/31DEC08/LINUX/LOAD/FILAIP.EXE
/AIPS/31DEC08/LINUX/LOAD/FILAIP.EXE: ELF 64-bit LSB executable,
x86-64, version 1 (SYSV), for GNU/Linux 2.6.8, dynamically linked
(uses shared libs), stripped
aips at astro-556:/AIPS-bin/31DEC08/LINUX/LOAD$ !$
/AIPS/31DEC08/LINUX/LOAD/FILAIP.EXE
... lots of text ...
# interactive AIPS, # batch queues (2 I)

        All the best

                  Richard