[daip] help with AIPS

Eric Greisen egreisen at nrao.edu
Tue Nov 4 13:37:36 EST 2008

Melanie Gendre wrote:
> Hi Eric,
>
> Ok, I am completely confused. I think I might have missed a step somewhere
> but I can't see where...
> After I calibrate the data and split the file, I get 4 .SPLIT. files for
> each of my 4 fields (2 different fields observed with 2 different VLA
> configuration).
>
> As you suggested, I try to run SETFC to get the boxfile to be written.
> However, at no point do I specify the number of sources I have in each
> field or their position. Hence, I'm pretty sure I'm missing steps between
> splitting the file with SPLIT and cleaning with IMAGR... Help!

Mostly observers do not know what sources they have or where.

SETFC will set up facets that cover the requested area fully - they will
include all of your sources.  If you wish to restrict the Clean to those
sources then you can add Clean boxes in IMAGR (use OBOXFILE too so they
are remembered).  There are programs that will read a source list and
construct the boxes for you - task BOXES for one.

You are not missing steps - you know too much about your field so you
want to enter extra - which BOXES will let you do (after SETFC).

Please use daip at nrao.edu - I am about to leave on vacation.